Saturday, December 16, 2023

THE CHRISTMAS COAT

 *The Christmas Coat*


_An old man fumbled around one day_

_In a women’s clothing store,_

_He’d found his wife a Christmas coat_

_And was headed for the door……_

_When he bumped into a little boy_

_That looked like he was lost,_

_And he said, “Mister, can you help me_

_Find out how much something costs?’_


_‘Here it is almost Christmas_

_And the nights are gettin cold,_

_Winter time is on us_

_And my mom don’t have a coat,_

_"I’ve been workin' for the neighbors_

_And saving for some time...”_

_And in his tiny outstretched hand_

_Was a dollar and a dime._


_The man's gaze went from that big-eyed boy_

_To that pretty Christmas coat,_

_And he finally cleared away the lump_

_That had gathered in his throat,_

_He said, “Son, that’s just what this coat costs;_

_We’re lucky that we found ‘er”_

_And he turned around and gave a wink_

_To the lady at the counter._


_She put it in a pretty box_

_And wrapped it up just so,_

_And went off in the back  and found_

_A big red Christmas bow,_

_The boy said, “I thank you for your help, sir_

_And I kindly thank you, ma’am;_

_I hope y’all are gonna have a big Christmas_

_"'Cause now I know *I* am!”_


_Well, the old man walked home busted_

_Except for the dollar and the dime,_

_Thinkin' he’d just have to buy_

_The coat another time._

_He told his wife that Christmas that year_

_Wouldn’t be much fun,_

_And he gently took her in his arms_

_And told her what he’d done._


_She said, “Why, you old softie,_

_I wouldn’t trade you for a farm,_

_I’ve got two or three old coats with me_

_And your love to keep me warm!“_

_She put that money in a matchbox_

_And placed it beneath their tree,_

_And said, “That's the grandest, sweetest gift_

_You’ve ever given me!”_


_The years went by, as years will do_

_When people are in love,_

_Their marriage was a golden bond_

_That was forged by God above;_

_Then one day came some bitter news_

_That filled his heart with fright_

_The doctor told the old man’s wife:_

_She was going to lose her sight!_


_He said, “There’s an operation we can do_

_But it puts me on the spot…._

_'Cause it’s quite a complex procedure_

_And it’s going to cost a lot!”_

_The old man said, “Doctor, I’m a failure_

_I’ve made no preparation……_

_We just don’t have the money_

_For that kind of operation!”_


_The doctor had the strangest look_

_And he sat there for a while,_

_And then he slowly nodded_

_And he broke out in a smile….._

_He said “Why, sir, you can’t fool me,_

_You’re a very wealthy man!_

_You long ago invested_

_In the world’s best savings plan!”_


_I’ll see she gets the best of care_

_She’s going to be just fine!_

_And the total cost to you, old friend_

_Is a dollar and a dime.”_

_The old man stared in disbelief_

_Then he recognized that smile….._

_The one he’d seen those years ago_

_On a loving, thoughtful child….._


_The doctor said, “What you gave me that day_

_Was more than just a coat,_

_You gave me the gift of giving,_

_And you gave my mother hope!_

_My mother’d been mistreated_

_Neglected and abused,_

_But she gave life just one more chance_

_And it was all because of you!_ ❤️❤️


_Now every year, she takes that coat_

_And lays it beneath our tree,_

_It represents to us the things_

_That Christmas ought to be._

_She says that when we leave this world_

_For a better home someday,_

_The only things that we’ll take with us_

_Are the things we gave away!”_


❤️🧚🏽‍♀️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment