Thursday, April 7, 2022

COMMUNISM VERSUS CHRISTIANITY




 Whenever I read Acts 2: 42-47, I would think to myself, "This sounds so much like the Communist Manifesto." I wanted to be told I was wrong and today I was. 


Communism says that the goods of everyone should be pooled and everyone given according to their need. It is very difficult to follow this when the system gets politicised and power is in the hands of a few who will obviously misuse it. 


Christianity preaches and hopefully practices the opposite. Individual needs are met by considerate and 'willing' pooling in of resources. For example, if my fellow Christian needs a car to drive to work when his is getting repaired at the garage, and I have one spare to give or I can help by allowing him to join me in mine, that would constitute Christian charity. I know him because he is my brother in Christ, so I trust him with my goods and therefore I am ready to give my goods. 


I recall hearing a similar story that a brother of ours in the renewal told us. He is a full-time preacher and as such has no other income. He depends solely on God's Providence and the goodwill of his fellow Christians. But God provided him a car when he needed it and a home for his family. The car was a gift, no strings attached. The house was given to him to use for as long as he needed to use it, the owners being abroad. Recently, he moved to another house that was also given in the same way. 


In Acts 2, we see that the Christians sold their property and possessions and the money was given to those in need in their community. There was no compulsion as we will see in the story of Ananias and Sapphira.(Acts 5) The elders decided who needed how much and the distribution was done accordingly. 


In a Catholic group that I have joined recently called Missionaries for Christ (MFC), we have a WhatsApp group that mimics this Christian charity. If I have something I do not need, I display it on the group. Within 24 hours, whoever says they would like it, their names are listed and then the elders decide who will get it. Since MFC members are known to each other, and the elders are loved and respected just as the apostles were in Acts 2, the system works and members get a chance to share their possessions willingly and needs are met. When I receive something from a brother/sister in Christ, my gratitude for it and for the person knows no bounds. When I give away something, I am certain it will be used properly and appreciated. 


The Catholic church hopes that BCCs will mimic the early Christians in a similar way. For those who do not know, BCC stands for Basic Christian Communities. In a basic Christian community, families meet, fellowship and share the Gospel and goods. They look after elderly members, help out families to take care of their sick, etc. A BCC should have no more than 6-8 families in it to function effectively. Right now, we are in a BCC which has more than 30 families. Such a large group may not be able to meet together in one home, let alone love and respect one another. This must change. 


In a larger context, parishioners give their money to the elders, the priests, who, like the apostles, identify the needs of the parishioners and meet those needs. Neither the ones giving nor the ones receiving know each other. This is also a good Christian way to share our goods. The only flaw that I see is that the elders must know the needs which can be difficult if the parish is too large. Parish priests get transferred every 7-10 years, so it is not easy to get to know their sheep intimately. Nowadays, priests rarely visit homes and, if they do, it is for brief periods only. 


For a Christian community to mimic the Christians of Acts 2, we need to 

1. Live in the same neighborhood.

2. Love, trust and respect one another.

3. Give willingly. 

4. Accept graciously. 

5. Meet and fellowship regularly. 

6. Be rooted in Christ and the Bible. 

7. Pray devoutly to and with the saints and Our Blessed Mother and receive the Sacraments esp Holy Eucharist and Confession frequently.


#ilovethecatholichurch 

#50DaysToPentecost

No comments:

Post a Comment