Sunday, September 17, 2023

EMCEE WITH SHARMILA


 It's 6 am on a Saturday morning and I have butterflies in my stomach already! Its the day before my debut at compering a programme along with a co-host, my new Handmaids friend Sharmila De Souza from Siolim.  

A month ago, Sonia Figueiredo called up and asked if I would anchor the Conference alongside another Handmaid who would handle the Konkani announcement. At first, I was reluctant. Then the Spirit reminded me of a prayer that I had made a couple of weeks back. I has asked for a second chance at compering. (The reason being that my first got severely botched by an egomaniac.)

Anyway, my YES led to us meeting on Zoom to start the training process. Veronica and Sonia painstakingly taught us the nuances of co-hosting the programme. 

Initially, we struggled, were corrected and we improved over time. Sharmila and I bonded during these practices and we even had an offline meeting to polish up our script. 

And thus, after three weeks of intense practice, we were ready to take centrestage to anchor the event. 


Sunday 17 Sept 7 pm


I'm resting right now, writing to tell you that it all went off very well. I missed my afternoon siesta and dozed plenty during the Adoration. But we managed to remember all our dialogues and coordinated well. Sharmila warmed up to her task beautifully and I could see a visible transformation taking place as the day ended with a scintillating performance by Sandra who was in her element, dancing shoes et al. The sleepy crowd literally jumped for joy, seeing her enthusiasm.

And with a final Adios, Sharmila and I signed off in time. She drove me and three other sisters back home safely. Glenn picked me up from Hotel Green Park and I was home, tired yet feeling joy that I had finally served my God by compering for Him. All Glory Be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was IN THE BEGINNING, IS NOW and EVER SHALL BE. Amen. 



FROM MY DIGITAL DIARY



I couldn't write my diary yday as I was up at 5 am and left by 6.20 to meet Sharmila at Hotel Green Park underpass area. We then picked up Sandra and proceeded to Verna for the conference. Another lady from Siolim was in the car with Sharmila, a very sweet old lady. We were the first to reach. And very early too. 

The programme started on time with the Gathering Song animated by Brother Hanon and group and we finished our first set on time. Our Handmaids Coordinator for India, Sr Veena Rodricks from Mumbai, was Event Head so she opened and closed the conference. The Mumbai sisters put up a very apt mime on the theme of this year, Believe and Be Love. We introduced  ourselves and then introduced the various groups that were attending - Mumbai, Bangalore, North and South Goa. Brother Gerry, our Area Servant, gave the welcome speech. Praise and worship led by Leandra Fernandes from Calangute took a little less time than planned so there was a small break before Mass. Fr Onasis Dcruz from Old Goa Retreat Centre celebrated the Mass with the Margao sisters and Brother Hanon animating the liturgy and hymns respectively. 

After Mass, we had two sessions in the Chapel. The first on 'BLESSED TO BELIEVE' was given by Sr Ana Menezes from Margao (who happens to be the mother of Andrea from our Homeschooling group). The second session was on 'BE LOVED AND BE LOVE'. This talk was shared by Jacinta Shabong and Varenka Dsouza from the Caranzalem group. Sharers at these talks were Uma Louis and Lisa Maskell respectively. 

Then we had lunch and, after that, games in the hall, followed by some dancing. Third session at 3.15 pm was given by Sr Kim Xavier, (wife to our Country Servant Jimmy Xavier), with Sr Velda Vales translating in Konkani. Topic was 'BRAVE AND BOLD CATHOLIC'. Before the talk, we said the three Hail Marys and after the talk there was Adoration and Infilling. Finally to end, Sandra led the Praise Fest alongwith Brother Hanon and group. Next year, we meet again on 15 Sept. 


The Mumbai sisters 






No comments:

Post a Comment