Tuesday, October 4, 2022

WHY DID I BUY PLASTIC CONTAINERS FOR THE NEW HOME?

 These days I have been ONLINE BINGE SHOPPING. 

Why? 

Well, for more than a decade, I have been using Amazon boxes as drawers in the closets and felt this was the best time to make a switch to a better storage solution. 

Is plastic better than cardboard? No. 

Then why did I buy plastic storage containers?

Did I break my own rule of NO PLASTIC in my home? 

Let's see. 


Bought 5 for Rs 517

Bought 11 for Rs 2176

Bought 9 for Rs 2493





























Initially, I decided our closets needed a break from mouldy cardboard boxes, so I ordered a set of LARGE baskets. I was satisfied with the quality even though the seller sent me Kolorr instead of Bel Casa ones. They fit well but only in one cupboard. 

So, I ordered a set of MEDIUM sized ones for the boys cupboard. They too fitted well and I was ok with the quality. 

Since the first two orders were as per my requirements, I decided to go the whole way and fill up all the shelves. That meant another couple of orders. 

So, now I had seven medium and six large baskets. I was content. 

For a while. 

Soon, my eyes wandered off to the kitchen. The open pantry looked like it needed some baskets too. Of course, the large and medium ones would never fit there! So, I  checked out the specs of the small sized ones. Perfect! I ordered a set of five. They are on the way, by the way. 

While still on a roll, I reasoned - why not go for another set of large and medium-sized baskets for our future pantry as well. Sales were on, so I kept an eye out. I ordered another set of each last week. Coming soon!

Am I done?

I hope so.

If I place all my baskets on the bed, it sure will look like I'm in the seller's storehouse :( 

But, you know something, every time I open those cupboards now and see those baskets, they SPARK JOY. I don't care if I spent a bomb or did not get as great a deal as I thought. Those babies give me joy while making my things stay in their places. 












So, this whole boo-hoo about plastics has its downside. 

Choose to refuse single-use plastics. 

Choose to store food in sustainable plastic containers that will last decades.

 Do not store hot food in plastic containers.  

Do not buy any plastic that is downcycled. 

But,

Nothing beats plastic when you want to freeze food that expands. Cheaper than buying freezer safe glass containers. 

So choose wisely. Don't just go by media hype or the opinions of ecofreaks. I do have glass containers and they have their uses but I haven't given up on my plastic ones yet. The most durable, in my humble opinion, are stainless steel containers but I have yet to see a storage box for clothes made of steel! 

Unless 

You are thinking about the vintage trunks our great grandparents used to keep their seasonal clothes in. And those have vanished just as our forests are going to one day! 





No comments:

Post a Comment