Friday, January 8, 2021

WHY I DO NOT SING SANTA SONGS


 WHY I DO NOT SING SANTA SONGS

- written by Aurrsa.


Come October and I am certain I spotted a cluster of reindeer lights at the mall. Stopped me dead in my tracks! Did Christmas come early to Sydney? (Yeah, this was in the Land of Down Under; wonder why its called that, btw🤔).

I asked my friend Maria and she told me that celebrations begin early because people leave for their native lands to be with family in December.

So decorations go up in homes as early as November probably after Halloween decorations come down. And suddenly, SANTALAND is in town!! 

With this convenient way of raising stock sales, the true meaning of Christmas goes for a toss as Santa and his goodie-ness makes the grand entry. 

'Better be nice, he's checking his list twice'. And you muster up a picture of a shortsighted Santa peering into a long list of all your many many mistakes aka sins and shaking his head in despair. No gifts for you this year, little one. NO WAY!

There was a time I wore a Santa cap, kept milk and cookies near my Christmas tree, belted out 'Jingle Bells' and 'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus' just like every one else. 

I recall having a ball dancing to merry songs bringing in Christmas cheer at Christmas parties that we went to right after doing the obligatory Mass at church. 

For me then, Christmas was all about new dresses, partying all night and presents, presents, lots of presents. I hadn't even heard of a season called Advent nor of Christmastide. 

Fast forward two decades, and I'm now a mother of five adorable children and homeschooling four at the time, when a friend Anna introduces me to the beauty of Advent. 

I WAS MESMERIZED!

Advent songs, the Advent wreath, and soon after, I discovered the Jesse tree tradition. It was a Revelation, I tell you.


I learnt that silly Santa is actually a distorted version of St Nicholas, a saint that I have grown to admire for he's never bothered if I'm naughty or nice. December 6th gets me all excited as I fill the stockings with gold coins (chocolate ones, of course) and leave oranges or little gifts in the children's shoes.

In Advent, we only play and sing Advent songs. Wonderful songs like 'Light one Candle' and 'Come Lord Jesus Come'. As we light the candles, we pray for the Second Coming of Christ. 

The children still love hearing the stories of the Jesse tree, how God traced His finger through history and brought forth a Saviour time and again. Joseph, Moses and finally,  JESUS.

And as the Advent season draws to a close, the decorations go up in my home, not to welcome Santa on his sleigh, but Jesus in His manger. A Birthday Party to look forward to. No more giddy-headed, drunken Christmas ones for me. 

Time to light the Christ candle, play the toy drum, offer Jesus a gift and then adore Him, who is God, Man and Sacrifice. Can you accuse me of not having the Christmas spirit because I won't sing Santa songs? 

For, as I sit looking at the sleeping Baby and at the serene calm of the crib, all I can sing is:


HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS,

 I'm so glad its Christmas,

All the tinsels and lights, 

And the presents are nice, 

But the REAL GIFT IS YOU.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS,

I'm so glad its Christmas,

All the carols and bells,

Make the holidays swell,

But its ALL ABOUT YOU. 


HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS,

JESUS I LOVE YOU.



No comments:

Post a Comment